Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Out and About

Well, I've been in Korea for about a week now and I've already had several misadventures. Sadly, there are no photos to document some of these events since the great outdoors isn't always camera friendly (damn rain), and I don't really trust myself enough just yet to fumble around with the camera while wearing gloves (damn cold). Oh, how convenient it would be to have a cell phone that, I don't know, takes pictures and uploads them to various social networking sites with the touch of a button. One with a pink protective silicone cover that would bounce if it were to fall to the ground. Those were the good ole days. I remember them as if they were just last week. I'm sure you can tell I have yet to find a phone, and that has become an adventure in and of itself. But, wait, I'm getting ahead of myself that issue is going to need its own post. So here's a little recap of the few outings I've been on.


Tuesday night, after we made it back to town from the airport we went out to dinner at the Korean Meat Market out in the ville. The ville is this area of shops and restaurants located outside of the main gate to the base and it's about a twenty minute walk from my apartment. It's safe to say that whatever you're looking for you can find it out in the ville, unless it's a cell phone contract (yes, I'm slightly bitter). At the Meat Market you pick out different types of meat and you sit down and cook them on this little grill in the middle of your table. There was something oddly comforting about that place, it must be because it reminded me of the several beach trips I had been on with Avon and her family. 


The next morning we had to head to the base so I could be entered into the system over here. Unfortunately it was raining. It seemed like it was just a little drizzle, but a little drizzle in the cold could be a problem. Not wanting to be a complainer I walked happily along with J, too bad that drizzle started to pick up and by the time we got to the office I was soaking wet and had about an inch of water or so in each of my boots. Apparently those suckers weren't waterproof, and I learned a very valuable lesson: Always make sure there's enough room for rain boots in your luggage. Oh, and the computer system was down, so we walked all that way for nothing. On the bright side I bought two Coach bags and wallet from out in the Ville, and J treated me to lunch at Chilis and a cab ride on the way home. Even though I was cold, I was far from miserable.


Friday night we went to dinner with J's captain and his wife. I've honestly never met anyone as nice or friendly as they were. We ate at this little restaurant a few blocks from our apartment. It was a really cute place. Before you walk in you remove your shoes and put them on a shoe rack and enter in your socks. Once inside you're seated on a little pillow on the floor  and your food is brought out to your table where it's warmed up on a burner similar to the one used at the meat market. We ended up eating Ox tail soup for dinner. It sounds terrible, but it wasn't gross at all. It had a lot of vegetables in it and it was served with two types of kimchi, turnip kimchi and the classic cabbage kimchi. Dinner was a great experience, and I can't wait to find more amazing places to eat at. Hopefully, those places have menus with pictures.


By the time Saturday came around I could hardly contain the excitement I was feeling. This was the day that J was taking me to a nearby Thai restaurant, so I could have food from the motherland. It was a sweet gesture since he knew it would be a little something to remind me of my mom. It really worked too, from the moment we walked in I felt like I was back home. All the little Thai ladies yelling in the kitchen and a menu full of my favorites. It's safe to say that this is my favorite place that I've been to so far. I ordered the chicken panang which is a Thai red curry full of deliciousness and J ordered the cashew chicken something or other. What can I say, I love the motherland, but I hate nuts so why would I remember the name of that? I probably should have remembered though since my husband is usually so picky about trying new food, even when I'm there nudging him along. I was so proud of him though, he really impressed me with his chop stick skills. He really does belong in our little Asian family now. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment