Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Hair Salon

There are few things I enjoy more than getting my hair done. To me, there's nothing like going in looking one way and coming out looking slightly improved. I love to change it up with different color combinations and back home I would just set up an appointment and let my stylist just play as she would put it. Before I would know it I would look like a walking antenna, I would have so much foil in my hair, but it was great. And I was worried that I wouldn't be able to have that here.  I mean 1) I don't know where to go and 2) there's that whole language barrier thing.


Ok, so the not knowing where to go issue is kind of silly when it comes down to it. There's at least ten hair salons between our house and the base, and some of them even have signs written in English. Unfortunately, one of the first things we found out is that if a place speaks English or advertises in English they'll usually charge you an arm and a leg for whatever their services are. Plus you have to be extra careful about how many barber polls are spinning outside a shop because apparently those things indicate the "extra" services a shop or salon includes, and quite a few of those things are of the illegal nature. 


So, it was with this knowledge that I made the decision to just hit up the beauty shop in the BX. The fact that I was going here somewhat saddened me. I'm not really sure why. I mean I guess it has something to do with the fact that I've only gone to stand alone establishments, or that I was somewhat frightened that  they might not actually do a good job but people only go there because it's convenient. Either way, I was being completely ridiculous. The lady that did my hair was amazing. Her name was Ms Kim and her name alone immediately made me think of Lane's mom on Gilmore Girls. Not to mention she wasn't nearly as heavy handed as most Asians when it comes to brushing someone's hair. When I was a kid I always thought I was going to get whiplash when my mom would fix my hair. Plus, I finally got to experience that Curly Sue moment, where you have two people drying your hair at the same time. It was heavenly. And my hair came out even better than I expected. 


Ignore J looking blind in this one, but you can really see the blonde in it.


And in this one you can see the lowlights.



2 comments:

  1. Very cute hair! And GOOD CHOICE going to the shop at the BX. I know if I was in Korea there would be no way I'd go to an establishment off post to get my hair done... no offense to anyone.

    The shop at the PX here is good too. Maybe we'll luck out and get good hair salons no matter where we end up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so. Some of salons out here are really cute. There's one out here that's two stories and it's all windows, but I'm really intimidated. Ms Kim was great, and with how quick she actually cutting my hair it was like she trained with Edward Scissorhands.

    ReplyDelete